Sunday 16 October 2011

"Trafic" Review

Trafic (1971)
Dir: Jacques Tati 


I really can't open this review with a quote from "Trafic" as the film is very light on dialogue, much like the rest of Tati's filmography.


"Trafic" is Tati's last feature film and marks the last appearance of his iconic character, Mister Hulot. The plot revolves around Hulot trying to drive a recreational vehicle from Paris to a car show in Amsterdam and the adventures he goes on.


I really enjoyed this movie and found it, much like Tati's other films, very watchable. There is no heavy plot, character or story that the viewer is required to follow, and I guess for many people there would be nothing to invest in, but I find his films utterly captivating. The way every scene is orchestrated is nothing short of spectacular and from a filmmaking point of view, his films are amazing achievements in blocking and choreography. 


I find that when watching his films you just sit back and absorb everything that is going on in the frame. Your eyes begin to wander all over the screen and look for new jokes or other funny things. There aren't many moments where I laughed out loud but I had a smile on my face the whole way through.

There was a really great montage of shots towards the end of the film set to the hippest early '70s rock 'n' roll music. A series of shots of the white lines on the road from the front bumper's perspective, reflections of lines in cars, etc.


I am very keen to watch this film again soon, because there are so many jokes I must have missed. I found all his films very rewarding when rewatching them, and on every occasion I've liked them more, so take the rating with a grain of salt.

Being the last feature film Tati made, "Trafic" really gives a fan of Tati's other films a sense of closure. Like Hulot has finally been put to rest. The film ends with a heavy rain and Hulot being forced to open hos umbrella. This is something he's never done in any of the other films and the visual is a nice way to end the film and Tati's career.

Top 5 Things About "Trafic"
5. When Hulot opens his umbrella :'(
4. The music.
3. People tip-toeing over fishing wire ------>
2. The rockin' '70s montage toward the end of the film.
1. When they go through the car's features.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog